Roosevelt School Clubs

POSTED November 18, 2019

Ever wanted to join a school club? Well, here are some RHS clubs to join!

Adventure Club: Club Leader – Jessica Pomerenke      Email: [email protected]

The club’s main purpose is to promote health by being active, exploring new places and activities and to have fun throughout the school year.

Art Club: Club Leader – Al Constanzo      Email: [email protected]

The main purpose of this club is explore and share a wide range of artmaking techniques and materials with a fun group of creative, like-minded students.

Asian Student Union: Club Leader – Victor Yip      Email: [email protected]

The purpose of this club is to celebrate the diversity, inclusion, Asian identity and culture through activities and discussions. 

Best Buddies: Club Leaders – Michele Jensen and Kara West       Email: [email protected]       [email protected]

The main purpose is to promote inclusion by facilitating friendships between students of all abilities. 

Black Student Union (BSU): Club Leader – Diedra Nissen      Email: [email protected]

The club’s main purpose is to inspire black youth through discussion. Its purpose is not to exclude non-black youth but to rather invite and welcome them to build a sense of community while learning about their counterparts. Everyone is welcome.

Book Club: Club Leader –  Gina Benz      Email: [email protected]

The purpose of the club is to read good books in a group setting while growing one’s knowledge about themselves and the world.

Cancer Awareness Club: Club Leader – Jessica Pomerenke       Email: [email protected]sd.us

The club’s purpose is to promote awareness of cancer in our community and to offer support and care for those who are or have been affected with cancer in our RHS and Sioux Falls community. 

Chess Club: Club Leader – Glenn Tolle      Email: [email protected]

The main purpose of the club is to promote the “Game of Kings” at RHS and to educate students on solid play in a fun and welcoming environment.

Dragon Lovers Club: Club Leader – Jill Peichel       Email: [email protected]

The purpose of this club is to discuss dragons, dragon books, Wings of Fire, Eragon, ect. and dragon art.

Dungeons & Dragons: Club Leader – Matt Geistfeld      Email: [email protected]

The purpose is to bring people of like interest and enjoy playing a game of fantasy. 

French Club:  Club Leader – January Johnson      Email: [email protected]

The purpose of this club is to learn more about the French language and culture through fun activities and club events.

Future Teachers: Club Leader – Jenna Albers      Email: [email protected]

The main goal of this club is to discuss current topics in education, teaching techniques and what it means to be an educator with those interested in all levels of education.

Gamers Club: Club Leader – Matt Geistfeld      Email: [email protected]s

The main purpose of this club is for students to come after school and play Magic the Gathering, Yugioh and Pokemon…mostly to have fun.

German Club: Club Leader – Dawn Hellbusch      Email: [email protected]

The goal of this club is to learn more about the German language and culture through fun activities and club events.

Girls’ State/ Boys’ State: Club Leaders – Kara Spieler and Heidi Schultz     Email:[email protected][email protected]

The purpose of this club is to help youth understand and appreciate the American system of government and way of life including rights and responsibilities of citizenship; to also give a better knowledge of the fundamental principles of government within the State of South Dakota.

Graphic Novel Book Club: Club Leader – Michelle Clayberg      Email: [email protected]

The main goal of this club is to read and discuss Graphic Novels.

Guitar Club: Club Leader – Lisa Dresch      Email: [email protected]

The purpose of this club is to learn basic guitar and ukulele chords and share music and skills with peers in a casual, encouraging atmosphere.

Latinos Unidos: Club Leader – Courtney Sawle      Email: [email protected]

The goal of this club is to motivate Latino students to get to know other students better: provide free food, educational and cultural stories, events, discussions, and games. 

Lettuce Club: Club Leader – Matt Geistfeld      Email: [email protected]

The main purpose of this club is to promote health and wellness of the Student Body and to encourage friendly competition and educational discussions about healthy lifestyles.

Link Crew: Club Leader – Jessica Pomerenke      Email: [email protected]

The goal in this club is to welcome with excitement the freshmen class during Rider Charge Day and to encourage them to get involved at RHS.

Made to Move: Club Leader – Jodi Meyer      Email: [email protected]

The goal of Made to Move is to help students have fun and be a little more active while learning some of the dances from their favorite Korean artists; to learn more about the Korean culture and language in the process.

National Speech and Debate Assoc: Club Leaders – Luke Cumbee and Grace Gill                        Email:[email protected]  [email protected]

The goal of this club is to connect, support, and inspire a diverse community committed to empowering students to use their voice through competitive speech and debate.

Ping Pong Club: Club Leader – Jessica Pomerenke      Email: [email protected]

The purpose of this club is to practice ping pong and compete in singles or doubles with one another.

Poetry Club: Club Leader – Shane McFarland       Email: [email protected]

The main goal of this club is to give students an opportunity to express themselves through poetry.

PRIDE: Club Leader – Sarah Leonard      Email: [email protected]

The main purpose of this club is to come together and discuss LGBTQ issues and create a support system in the Roosevelt community.

Psychology Club: Club Leader – Sarah Leonard      Email: [email protected]

The purpose of this club would be to discuss psychological aspects of current events, view documentaries pertaining to psychological topics and provide homework help to psychology students. 

Renaissance: Club Leader – Katie Oberlitner      Email: [email protected]

The goal of this club is to recognize and celebrate student academic success and improvement.

RHS Environmental Club:  Club Leader – Michele Jensen      Email: [email protected]

The club’s purpose is to work together to clean the environment and raise awareness of the dangers to the environment, to raise awareness about endangered species and to volunteer in the community.

RHS Flight Club: Club Leader – Nathan Hofflander      Email: [email protected]

The main goal of this club is to understand how drones work and how to fly them; to explore the benefits of using drones.

SALSA: Club Leader – Rebekah Berven      Email: [email protected]

The purpose of this club is for students to learn and participate in volunteer opportunities in our community. 

Science Bowl: Club Leader – Matt Geistfeld      Email: [email protected]

The goal of this club is to practice science and math trivia in order to participate in the regional competition that could eventually lead to the National Science Bowl Competition in DC. 

Science Club: Club Leader – Rachel Turner      Email: [email protected]

The purpose of this club is to foster scientific thinking and encourage STEM-related learning.

Social Media Club: Club Leader – Nathan Hofflander      Email: [email protected]

The goal of this club is to create content for and manage the Social Media for Roosevelt.

Spanish Club: Club Leaders – Stacy Svendsen and Lauren Meyers     Email: [email protected]  [email protected]

The purpose of this club is to learn more about the Spanish language and culture through fun activities and club events.

Spikeball Club: Club Leader – Troy Engel      Email: [email protected]

The main goal of this club is to enjoy a game of Spikeball to reduce stress from school work, connect with peers and have fun.

Student Ambassadors: Club Leaders – Heidi Schultz and Todd Alberty                                             Email:[email protected][email protected]

The main purpose of this club is to develop student leaders responsible for guiding new students at RHS. These leaders will serve as positive role models, instant friends, and educated resources for incoming students.

Teenage Republicans (TARS): Club Leader – Grace Gill      Email: [email protected]

The goal of this club is to explore candidates of the Republican Party, discuss party platforms and engage with local officials and/or candidates.

The Office Club (TOC): Club Leader – Jessica Pomerenke      Email: [email protected]

The goal of this club is to change lives by teaching life lessons and making laughter spread through the halls of RHS.

The Rubik’s Cube Club: Club Leader – David Maxwell      Email: [email protected]

The purpose of this club is to teach the way of the cube to those who are interested in Rubik’s Cube.

Tribal Club: Club Leader – Robert Johnson      Email: [email protected]

The main purpose of this club is to get together, have fun, help each other accomplish our educational goals and provide community service.

Twenty-One Pilots Club: Club Leader – Jamie Weyh      Email: [email protected]

The main goal of this club is to connect and have fun while learning about the band Twenty-One Pilots. 

Video Game Club: Club Leader – Chris Cameron      Email: [email protected]k12.sd.us

The goal of this club is to bring people together who enjoy playing video games.

Young Democrats: Club Leader – Grace Gill      Email: [email protected] 

The purpose of this club is to explore candidates of the Democratic Party, discuss party platforms and engage with local officials and/or candidates. 

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Roosevelt School Clubs”

1. Alex Wohlwend on November 26th, 2019 11:51 am

This really opened my eyes just to how much there is in Roosevelt. The clubs that stood out to me were the book club (which I will be joining next year) and ping pong club, which just seems like a really fun activity. I am already in the french club and SALSA, but I’m thinking that I will be joining more next year.

2. Kaleb Baker on November 30th, 2019 3:33 pm

Don’t forget about Drama Club! All are always welcome and invited to attend any meetings and get involved.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The Nationalist • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in