March For Our Lives

Shaina Tran, Writer, Editor

“We can’t ignore the issues of gun control that this tragedy raises. And so, I’m asking -no, demanding- we take action now.”

This riveting quote, said by the young survivor Cameron Kashy of The Stoneman Douglas High School, suggests his fight for change is at a pivotal point due to the event that left millions awestruck. 17 people lost their lives in a tragic and morbid school shooting. This event has most recently brought up a difficult issue: yes or no to gun control? Many mass shootings greatly impacted the U.S. in the past and the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting was but another lighter which ignited the talk of gun reforms. Because young survivors did not see a change being made to prevent another school shooting, a few students decided it best to seek change by speaking for the voiceless. And so the journey begins for those fighting for their future and the future of those around them.

On March 24 at 10 a.m., the “March For Our Lives” will take place in Washington, D.C. as well as other sister locations such as New York City, Boston, Los Angeles, and many other cities found on the March For Our Lives website.

Both Senior Emma Gonzalez and Junior Cameron Kashy from the Stoneman Douglas High School took a tragedy and turned it into a voice for many people who have suffered from a terrible misfortune and others who could be victims of another possible mass shooting. The young survivors are voicing the struggle and hardship other students suffer from after a school shootings by creating a website pledging their mission and orchestrating marches across the country.

With the march fast approaching, many people have found the movement so inspiring that they donated to the cause. According to The Cut, the march is receiving “funding from a number of celebrities like George and Amal Clooney, Steven Spielberg and Kate Capshaw, studio chief Jeffrey Katzenberg, and Oprah Winfrey, all of whom pledged $500,000 for the rally.” Along with the many celebrities putting forth donations for the march, many civilians around the U.S. have donated to their GoFundMe page, which was started on the 18th of February, to reach a goal of $3 million. With the money raised “half of the proceeds will be going toward the march, and the other half will be the funding raised to provide relief and financial support to the victims and families of the horrific shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.” Their goal will soon be reached at the pace the donations are coming in as of right now. The march has touched many lives reaching thousands of pledges of people willing to donate for the cause. Whether the donation is exceptionally large or modesty small, the donation in itself shows the commitment others have for the march driven by the young survivors.

In hopes of a big number at the march, the goal is to “inspire concrete legislative outcomes.” According to Time, politicians are showing sympathy and offering messages of “thoughts and prayers.” However, the government’s knowledge of the mass shooting has not rendered them wanting to make positive strides. Upon the march receiving a lot of media exploitation, the president, himself, has created small steps in helping the case of mass shootings. Trump mentions an idea such as “a push toward banning devices that boost the firing power of semi automatic rifles.” As well as the push for banning the boost of firing power to semi-automatic rifles, “The President also called in a tweet for Democrats and Republicans to work to “strengthen” background checks.” The young students’ message upon doing everything in their power to advocate others who have experienced the traumatizing events has made its way to the White House, calling the president’s attention to find ways to positively help the current social issue of gun control.

Upon a tragic event and insufferable loss, the young survivors of the Florida school demand change and the “March For Our Lives” will continue to take place on March 24 in Washington, D.C.. Gun control is a controversial topic that recently has been an ongoing issue in the U.S. due to the increase of mass shootings. Whether people are for or against gun control, the march and its message is to address the dire situations going on in the world today. By understanding that there is an issue with the increase of mass shootings in the U.S., students for example, will find ways to promote their demands. As one of the young survivors states,“We cannot allow one more child to be shot at school. We cannot allow one more teacher to make a choice to jump in front of a firing assault rifle to save the lives of students. We cannot allow one more family to wait for a call or text that never comes. Our schools are unsafe. Our children and teachers are dying. We must make it our top priority to save these lives.”