Self-confidence

Photo courtesy of Public Domain Pictures

Nia Kooiman, Writer

2018 has been a stressful year for many, and with the holiday season and semester tests approaching, here are a few tips to keep yourself healthy.

Hug yourself.

• Giving yourself hugs promotes more self-confidence.

Write ten reasons why you love yourself on sticky notes.

• It could be anything from the way you smile or that you know how to make multiple foods.
  • Put the sticky notes around the house, so that whenever you see them, you read them. This way you can remind yourself that you are beautiful, you are worth it and you are loved.

Stand in a mirror and tell yourself why you love you.

• No distractions. Just you and the mirror.

Be honest with yourself.

• If you know the relationship or friendship you’re in is bad for you, don’t deny it. Leave and never look back.
  • If you don’t feel comfortable doing certain things, don’t do them. Don’t just try to fit in because it’s the “in” thing or because everybody else is doing it.
  • If you know you could’ve done better on a test or in a relationship, tell yourself ways that you can improve. Try to figure out what you did wrong and how to avoid these mistakes in the future.

Stop worrying about things you can’t control.

• The only thing you can control in this world is your thoughts, your emotions and your actions.
  • You can’t control other people no matter how hard you try. You can only control how you react.
  • You can’t allow other people’s actions to influence how you feel, otherwise you’re always going to be sad.

Be kind to yourself.

• We all have bad days where we don’t want to do anything. We all have days where we’re struggling, and we just want to break down and cry.
  • We have bad days, but that doesn’t mean every single day is a bad day. Give yourself time to relax. Don’t feel guilty while watching Netflix for a couple hours or just binging.
  • Don’t be mad at yourself for not getting an A on a homework assignment. You can make it up, and you’re going to be okay.

Always try your best.

• Your best is going to be different from day to day. Your best is going to be different when you’re sick as opposed to when you are healthy. As long as you try your best: that’s all you can ask of yourself.

Stop comparing yourself to others.

• You are only ever going to be you. You’re never going to be that girl in the magazine, or that girl on your Instagram feed. Again, you are only ever going to be you.
  • Yes, you have flaws, but that’s what makes you you. Your flaws are what make you so unique. You are the only you in this entire world.

Think positively.

• Any time something bad happens or a bad thought comes in your mind, replace it with a good thought.
  • Instead of saying “I did bad on this assignment,” say “I’ll try harder next time. I’ll study better for the next exam. I will improve.”
  • Prepare for the worst so you are prepared, but hope for the best.

Write a list of your strengths and weaknesses.

• Doing so can allow yourself to never feel bad if someone points out a flaw because you know your strengths and you know your weaknesses.

Surround yourself with positive people.

• Don’t allow people to walk all over you. Don’t allow people to make you feel less of yourself. You are beautiful just the way you are. You don’t need other people’s recognition in order to feel happy. You are amazing just the way you are.
  • Surround yourself with people who truly believe in you and only want the best for you.
  • If anyone treats you as less, leave them. You only deserve the best. This life is short and you should spend it being your happiest self.

Give yourself a makeover/change your surroundings.

• If you’re in need of a change, get a piercing. Change your hair. Decorate your room.
  • Exercise. Exercising could help you feel so much better about yourself because you are in control of what figure you end up with.

Love your body.

• You don’t have to have a perfect Instagram model body. Your body is enough as it is. If someone doesn’t see that, cut them off.
  • Your body is just trying to protect you, and ultimately it’s what is on the inside that counts.

Self-confidence is something that can be improved and altered overtime. Don’t let anyone ruin your self-confidence, and never let anyone have too much control over you. You are wonderful just as you are. You are intelligent; you are kind. You are doing everything that you can, and you’re going to be okay.